Compensation & Benefits
- Full-time FLSA exempt and benefit eligible.
- Salary range for hiring consideration: $112,551.09 - $128,545.25 annually depending on experience
- Medical & Dental – Group benefits include health, dental, vision, basic life and accidental death & dismemberment. This position is eligible for the Arizona State Retirement System and may choose to participate in a 457 deferred compensation plan.
- 11 holidays including 1 floating holiday
- 16 days vacation per year after six months of employment
The City of Flagstaff is a community that is envied for its natural beauty nestled among the largest Ponderosa Pine forest in the world at the foot of the San Francisco Peaks. Flagstaff draws from around the globe as a destination for day trips to the Grand Canyon, a ski resort town, and an outdoor playground of Northern Arizona. While nature enthusiasts find a wide choice of settings punctuated with an abundance of sunshine to pursue their passions, our city serves approximately 78,000 residents and an additional 100,000 regionally plus a large tourism population from around the world. We are also a university town and a hub for astronomy and international scientific research as well as entrepreneurial start-up companies. Artists have long been attracted to our region bringing their diverse talent and culture making us an attractive hot spot ranging from the ancient tribal art to the cutting edge.
The City is looking for a highly customer service driven individual with an attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities within various areas of a fast-paced environment. This individual must have the ability to build collaboration among their team and provide ongoing training and feedback in order to promote the HR Team’s goal of becoming a Business Partner.
Examples of work performed include but are not limited to:
- Plans, develops, and directs the administration and operation of the Human Resources Division as well as the citywide organizational development efforts.
- Establishes and conducts reviews and analysis of new programs and techniques in the area of personnel management and makes any necessary changes to improve their effectiveness as it relates to the City.
- Consults with the Deputy City Manager and City Manager regarding personnel matters and legal issues and makes recommendations to achieve resolution.
- Designs organizational development plans; conducts research; defines organizational needs; identifies opportunities for development; develops programs and initiatives to meet needs and/or further development; determines implementation methodology; identifies and obtains needed resources; and implements approved plans.
- Acts as a liaison between the Human Resources Division and other City divisions.
- Reviews and advises the City Manager regarding employee hires, promotions, demotions, suspensions transfers, merit increases, discharges, and disciplinary measures.
CITY OF FLAGSTAFF - HUMAN RESOURES DIRECTOR
Examples of work performed (continued):
- Recommends to the Deputy City Manager and City Manager modifications to the personnel ordinance and administrative policies and procedures.
- Interprets and explains personnel rules and regulations to internal and external customers.
- Serves as staff liaison to the Personnel Board, Northern Arizona Public Employee Benefits Trust, Diversity Awareness Commission, Disabilities Commission, Employee Advisory Committee (EAC), and the Budget Team.
- Advises and counsels employees on personnel matters, work related problems, and personnel benefits, policies, and procedures.
- Administers and participates in recruitment openings, application screening, interviews, selection, and post hiring procedures, and has overall responsibility for those programs.
- Administers and participates in performing job audits and writing job descriptions, and conducts classification audits for possible reclassification of positions, and has overall responsibility to the City Manager for classifications and their reporting.
- Administers, participates, and has overall responsibility to the City Manager for annual salary surveys and reporting.
- Investigates and resolves citizen complaints that cannot be handled by other human resources employees.
- Supervises the maintenance, confidentiality, and legal retention of personnel records, statistics and files.
- Prepares and administers the human resources budget and exercises control over expenditures.
- Manages Human Resources initiatives including interactions with the public, Council and other internal and external parties to accomplish initiative objectives.
- Attends leadership meetings and Council work sessions and meetings representing Human Resources.
·Bachelor's degree in personnel, public, organizational development, business administration, or related field.
·Seven (7) years of human resources experience, especially in the areas of recruitment, selection, classification, compensation, training, organizational development, and employee relations.
·Five (5) years progressively responsible supervisory experience.
·Previous experience with budgeting, strategic planning and communication with City Council or a Board of Directors.
- Master’s degree in human resources, employee relations, business management, public administration, organizational development, or related field.
Location/Region: Flagstaff, AZ