Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under direct supervision of the Purchasing Director, employees of this classification perform professional-level Purchasing Management including, monitoring, implementing, evaluating, and assuring compliance with established City Charter requirements, City Procurement Codes, local, State, and Federal procurement rules and regulations and other applicable policies and procedures. The Purchasing Manager will assist the Purchasing Director in the implementation of process improvement initiatives within the Purchasing Section and work closely and collaboratively with the Grants and Contract Manager to help optimize efficient and timely procurement involving grant funds and contract management process in order to support the organization’s evolving needs.
- Supervisory: This job has responsibility for employee supervision (hires, directs, schedules, transfers, promotes, rewards, disciplines, and terminates).
- Budgetary: This job has responsibility for budgeting, including managing and coordinating budgetary quotes for Divisions/Section purchases involving goods, services and construction.
- Strategic Planning: This job has responsibility for strategic planning (develops, implements, interprets, and manages long and short-term goals).
- Policies/Procedures: This job has responsibility for policies and procedures, including development, implementation, and interpretation for the purchasing program.
- Compliance: This job has responsibility (follows, ensures compliance with, enforces, and interprets) Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures for Purchasing program.
- Council Communications: This job has responsibility for Council communication, including assisting with making recommendations and presentations, writing staff summaries, ensuring performance measures are met, and balancing needs with Council’s adopted priorities and direction.
- Reporting: This job has full responsibility for reporting to Federal/State/Local agencies (ensures reporting requirements are met, trains others on reporting requirements and methods, and addresses discrepancies in reporting) for Purchasing.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Manages large, complex, high risk, high impact, confidential, and politically sensitive city-wide purchases of goods, services and construction.
- Conducts organizational and procurement planning which further the goals of the City, including procurement needs assessment with divisions/sections to manage various projects involving a comprehensive procurement process and compliance with the program requirements, as well as procurement rules and regulations.
- Promotes an atmosphere conductive to developing and sustaining division/section knowledge and understanding of both an informal and formal procurement process, involving specifications and scope of work preparation.
- Serves as primary point of contact for procurement related issues and concerns.
- Responsible for management and compliance with the City’s Procurement Code Manual and other applicable Federal, State, and Local rules and regulations.
- Writes and presents staff summaries for formal competitive procurement projects.
- Directs employees on staff summary preparation including review, revision, and recommendations.
- Oversees Purchasing staff workload and makes appropriate changes as necessary to ensure procurement tasks are performed timely and efficiently.
- Reviews solicitation documents for template consistency prior to legal review.
- Reviews and approves purchase orders.
- Responsible for interacting and developing partnerships with other divisions/sections.
- Responsible for responding to public records requests.
- Assists the Purchasing Director with the establishment, monitoring and management of the Purchasing Section’s performance measures, and the use of performance measurement information.
- Coordinate with Coconino County involving the Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) as a representative of the Purchasing Section in disaster recovery efforts following an emergency event.
- Serves as a Change Order Committee Member, representing the Purchasing Section.
- Supervises the coordination of amendments with contracts, as well as contract extensions or terminations.
- Oversee the maintenance and updates to the professional services contracts for the City’s On-Call and Job Order Contracting (JOC) programs.
- Prepares compliance letters to City staff, contracted vendors, lessees, and other relevant parties when necessary.
- Works closely with Finance, Revenue, and other Division/Section staff on project goals, activities, outcomes, and deliverables.
- Attends council meetings, commission meetings, leadership (as needed) and extended leadership meetings.
- Provides guidance and consistency with procurement policy and procedure related decisions to procurement staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Management, or a related field.
- At least one of the following professional purchasing certifications (Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.), Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO), or Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB).
- Five years of experience with procurement of goods, services and construction, contracts and contract administration.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration.
- Experience related to purchasing, contracts and materials management in a public sector setting.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to direct, supervise, evaluate and train personnel, ensuring high level of service standards are maintained for both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, organization, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and oversee their completion according to established deadlines and retain regulatory compliance with Federal, State, and local regulations for the Purchasing Program.
- Ability to travel for meetings, conferences, and events, as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City of Flagstaff employees, vendors, contractors, professional design firms, consultants, auditors, and the general public.
- Ability to coordinate with all parties involved in the procurement, planning, and development processes of a large number of on-going projects and contracts.
- Ability to negotiate effectively with vendors, contractors, professional design firms, and consultants, utilizing strategies that result in win-win negotiations and favorable to all parties of the contract.
- Advanced knowledge of Federal, State, and Local contact regulations, and expert knowledge of purchasing programs, procedures, and administrative requirements.
- Ability to read, interpret, and write complex procurement assessments, contract agreements, and other written reports; may conduct presentations to internal and external parties as required.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Purchasing’s programs, activities, facilities, and materials.
- Knowledge of COOP policies and procedures and ability to make informed, sound decisions on behalf of the Purchasing Program following an emergency event.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Alternative Project Delivery Methods utilized for capital improvement projects and the ability to work with the City’s Capital Improvement staff to determine the appropriate project delivery method and associated solicitation structure to use in awarding a contract.
- Working knowledge of the City’s On-Call and Job Order Contracting (JOC) programs and ability to oversee their ongoing maintenance.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills, including ability to efficiently operate Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced knowledge of current financial and accounting practices, and ability to apply them consistently in accordance with Federal, State, and local regulations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- There are no pre-employment physical requirements for this position.
- There are no pre-employment testing requirements for this position.
- There are no pre-employment vaccination requirements for this position.
Range 115, C-5-1, FLSA exempt
Location/Region: Flagstaff, AZ